Yam (after cutting abt 700g)
1 small section pumpkin
1. Remove the skin of yam and cut into pcs (wear gloves when handling yam)
2. Wash n drained.
3. Same for pumpkin, remove skin n cut pcs.
4. For gingko nuts, crack the nuts open, remove each pc of nut's stem with a toothpick by gently piercing through so that it remains as a whole. I usually do this ahead, wash n freeze it as it takes time. When needed, coat with sugar n let it soak overnite bef use.
5. Steam the yam in a tray for abt 30-40mins or till soft with some liquid oozing out.
6. Remove from steamer and mash it while hot till smooth.
7. Next, steam the pumpkin till soft. Remove n mash same .
8. Steam the sugar-soaked gingko nuts till the nuts will look slightly puffed up means ready. Remove from steamer n drained away in a bowl.
9. Heat the wok with oil. Fry the sliced shallots till fragrant. U need to collect quite a fair bit of oil for later use. Scoop up the fried shallots for other use. We need the oil only.
10. Pour the mashed yam into the same wok and fry in medium heat. Add the shallots oil when it starts to dry. Do not let it get burnt.
11. I will move away my wok away frm burner each time i add spoonfuls of sugar n back to the fire. The heat will actually melt the sugar into the paste n at same time avoid being burnt. U need to do a few times till u get your desired texture n sweetness level.
12. Off the fire and scoop into indiviual bowls n serve with pumpkin puree n gingko nuts.
13. Cook in a small saucepan some coconut milk n add a pinch of salt. This can be used as a drizzle when serving.
As my recipe is prepared all from scratch, pls factor in more time as it is quite time-consuming.