(Made about 90 seeds)
Ingredients for yam abacus
300g yam (weight after skin removed)
100g - 120g tapioca starch (estimation)
50ml boiling water (estimation)
For stir frying
10g dried shrimp (soaked and chopped likely)
2 cloves of garlic (minced it)
10g of dried cuttlefish(cut into thin strips and soak till soft)
40g minced meat
10g black fungus ( soaked and cut into thin strips)
25g dried mushroom (soaked till soft and slice thinly)
15g bean curd diced to small cube
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp like soya sauce
1. Steam the yam till it softened. Use a fork to mash while it is still hot. Add half of the tapioca starch & knead the yam with the starch. Gradually add the starch in spoonful, till the dough is smooth & no longer sticks to your hand.
2. Roll the dough and break it into a small bite size, use hand to roll them into a round shape. Use the end of chopsticks to make a dimple in the centre before boiling them.
3. Bring water to boil before adding abacus seeds. When the seed floats, let it simmer for another 1 minute.
4. Transfer the cooked abacus to cold water. After a minute, drain the abacus and coat the abacus with 3 tbsp of cooking oil to prevent sticking.
Frying the abacus
1. Heating up a wok, add 1 tbsp of oil, add in dried shrimp, minced garlic, cuttlefish, stir fry till fragrant.
2. Add in minced meat, black fungus, dried mushrooms, bean curd & seasoning. Lastly add in abacus and stir fry till combine. Season to taste.
3. Garnish with fried shallots & chinese parsley.
Watch this video recipe on Singapore Home Cooks Youtube channel.