5 large eggs preferably (i used 60g eggs this round)
200g castor sugar
300g HK flour
A small cup of 7-up/abt 100ml
A square size of 'mirror/glass' paper to fit your bamboo basket with enough overhang.
1. Whisk your eggs till white and fluffy. It does take some time to achieve that. Add sugar in carefully abt 3 batches while mixer is still running. Then adjust to whisk max speed after last addition. Batter should be thick and white.
2. Then gently handfold the sieved HK flour (sift at least twice ahead) in 3 to 4 batches and to remove any lumps at same time. You will feel a heavy batter at the end.
3. Pour in the cup of 7-up in 2 batches. Each round, handfold the batter till even.
4. Meanwhile, your steamer with sufficient water has to be on rolling boil in high heat and standby.
5. Pour your batter into the bamboo basket lined with 'mirror/glass' paper. Batter should reach almost brim of basket, if possible.
6. Draw two thin lines of sugar in a 'cross' or '+' sign gently on surface of batter.
7. Place it in your steamer pot and steam for abt 30mins of my basket size 7".
8. DO NOT PEEP OR LIFT UP YOUR STEAMER LID TO CHECK until it's cooked.
9. Once steamed, detach the steamed cake frm bamboo basket and leave to air, until ready to use or slice.
Happy Steaming and hopefully a smiling one for everyone!
1. Use very fresh eggs at room temp.
2. Steamer tray must ensure no gaps.
3. Bamboo basket size is 7"diameter by 3"height. It can be purchased in most cutleries wares neighbourhood shops. I bought mine in AMK.
4. Mirror/glass paper can be purchased in wet market shops or perhaps SKP.
5. Pls do estimate proportionately if a diff size basket is used.