2 chicken bones
3 pork bones
1/2 cabbage, cut
1/2 packet celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
3-4 medium potatoes, diced
2 brown onions, diced
4 large red tomatoes, diced
6 cloves of garlic, removed skin and smashed
2 bay leaves
1 packet basil leaves (optional)
1.5 canned thick tomato puree
5 L water
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Brown sugar to taste
1. Blanch all the chicken and pork bones for a while.
2. Put water in a big pot and bring to boil. Add all the blanched bones and simmer for 30 mins.
3. Add all the ingredients except the basil leaves and tomato puree. Cook until the carrots become soft.
4. Add all the tomato puree and stir until its well combined. Add all the seasonings to taste and continue to cook in low fire for another 45 minutes.
5. Put the basil leaves and stir it. Serve it hot.
(Original HK Borscht soup used beef chunks, but since my hubby doesn't take beef so I used chicken and pork. You may use beef chunks if you want)
**Left over soup can be kept in the fridge for a few days**