15 wonton wrappers (thinly shredded [please see image 1], use more if necessary)
12 large prawns (de-shelled leaving tails intact and rinsed)
100g raw prawn meat (finely chopped)
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 egg (scoop 1 tbsp* egg white for prawn mixture and beat the remaining egg in a bowl)
1/2 cup cornflour
salt & pepper to taste
oil for deep frying
1. Make a slit along the inside of the prawns (ingredient no. 2 [please see image 2]).
2. Combine prawn meat (ingredient no. 3) & onion with salt & pepper to taste in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp* egg white, 3 tsp cornflour and mix well.
3. Using a fork, spread as much as possible of the prawn mixture in the slit of each prawn.
4. Coat each prawn with the remaining cornflour (see image 3).
5. Lightly dip each prawn in beaten egg and sprinkle with wonton wrapper shreds (rotate the prawn so that the wonton wrapper shreds wrap around the prawn (see image 4).
6. Heat oil for deep frying. Add prawns in batches and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
1. If there's remaining prawn mixture, spoon about 1/2 tsp of prawn mixture and wrap with the wonton wrapper then deep fry.
2. Prawns in Crispy Wonton Skin without the stuffing is yummy too!
Recipe adapted from Family Circle (Cookbook) ~ Yum Cha & Asian treats