6 fresh mud crabs (about 1 lb each)
Oil for deep frying
6 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, thinly sliced
12 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1 1/2 inch of grated ginger
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon salted soya beans, mashed
2 tablespoons dried prawns, roasted and ground
2 tablespoons black pepper, ground coarsely
1/2 cup curry leaves
10 red or green bird’s-eye chilies, chopped
6 tablespoons kicap manis
2 tablespoons black soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
½ tsp Ground White Pepper
3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 cube Chicken Stock (knorr brand)
1. Clean the crabs and cut in half, discarding the spongy “dead man’s fingers.”
2. Smash the claws with a cleaver to allow the seasonings in.
3. Deep fry the crab until fully-cooked, drain and set aside.
4. Heat a wok, melt butter and put in shallots, garlic, ginger, ground coriander, salted soy beans, dried prawns, black pepper, white pepper, curry leaves and chilies. Saute till fragrant.
5. Add in oyster sauce, kicap manis, soy sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar and chicken stock cube. Allow it to simmer.
6. Then add crab. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the crab is fully coated with sauce.
Try it and let me know how it turns out.