Pancake made from sourdough starter is fluffy and yummy. Presenting - Almond Sourdough Pancakes (I've added some ground almond). Love these pancakes and I will not make them other ways. Prepare the batter the night before sleeping, next morning, add an egg and baking soda and they are ready to be sizzled on the frying pan! This pancake tastes a little tangy.
Sourdough is a “natural leavener”. It is the result from the fermentation of wild yeast in the flour and beneficial bacteria. The yeasts are primarily responsible for the leavening and texture and the bacteria for the sourdough flavour.
To make almond pancake batter, add 20g ground almond and reduce the flour amount by 20g
Basic Sourdough Pancake
Refreshed Sourdough starter 40g
Fresh Milk 80g
Vegetable oil 20g
Plain flour, sieved 100g
Egg (about 50g with shell) 1
Vanilla extract ¼ tsp
Pinch of salt
Baking soda (dissolved in some water) ¼ tsp
Night before sleeping
1. In a large bow, mix the refreshed starter with the milk until the starter is dissolved.
2. Add the sugar and oil and mix well.
3. Add the flour. Stir and mix until no visible lumps of flour.
4. Cover the bowl with a towel and rest the batter for 7-10hours.
The morning after
1. The batter would have doubled in volume and a little bubbly.
2. In a small bowl, beat the egg lightly together with the vanilla extract, salt & vanilla extract.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the sourdough batter and mix well.
4. Cook the batter as normal pancakes.