100g fine sugar
125g all-purpose flour
1 tspn baking powder
125g lowfat yoghurt/ 1 store cup
A few tspns of lemon curd
1 tspn vanilla essence
3 egg whites
25g fine sugar
1/4 tspn cream of tartar
1. Cream butter till slightly softened, then add sugar. Cream at medium speed.
2. Add yolks a little at a time. When all even, add ve, yoghurt and then lemond curd. Mix even.
3. Switch mixer lower speed and add sifted flour with baking powder. Mix well n stop machine.
4. Whisk the whites in a clean bowl at max speed. Lower speed little n add sugar then cream of tartar. Increase speed and whisk till stiff.
5. Add whisked whites to earlier yolk mixture in 3 batches. Fold with a spatula until all combined.
6. Bake in a preheated oven of 175°c for baking cases(30mins) or a 8"sq tray at 150°c for at least 45-50mins.
7. Test for doneness as usual.
I hv used harder baking cases (like in hokkaido cakes) instead of cupcakes paper liners, so as to hold the soft cake better. If bake in a tray, pls line the base n sides longer to ease liftup from tray. Do not overturn cake like some other recipes.
Ingredients for Lemon Curd4 yolks
145g caster sugar
72g unsalted softened butter
2 lemons (juiced)
Some lemon zest
Pinch of salt
1. Whisk butter n sugar till even.
2. Whisk in yolks bit by bit.
3. Pour in lemon juice gently.
* at this step, u may notice slight curdle when juice added.
4. Heat this mixture over baine-marie method or double-boiler.
5. Keep handwhisking till thickens (abt 10mins)
6. Coat the back of wooden spoon or spatula. If it stays when u swipe with your fngers, means the curd is ready.
7. Remove from heat n stir in lemon zest.
8. Add pinch of salt last.
9. Transfer to sterilised n clean jam bottles. Cool, cover with surface clingwrap n refrigerate.
I hv always bottled my lemon curd ahead as a jam for other uses. U may want to trim down the qty proportionately as the cake recipe here only requires a few tsp's.