300g yam (steamed & mashed)
140g tapioca flour
20g tapioca flour+20ml hot water (starch)
1 tbsp oil
1 pot of water (for cooking)
1 pot of ice water
150g minced meat
80g dried shrimp (soaked)
1 pc dried cuttle fish (soaked & julienned)
5 pcs mushrooms (soaked & julienned)
1 pc big woodear fungus (soaked & julienned)
5 tbsp oil
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 shallot (sliced)
1 sprig spring onion (diced)
5 pcs shallots (sliced & deep fried)
1. In a big mixing bowl, add and mix with hand the mashed yam, tapioca flour, starch and water to form a dough.
2. Roll and make little yam beads from the dough, lightly press the beads to flatten them a little then use a chopstick end to indent a hole in the centre, do not poke through.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add oil then follow by yam beads. Once the yam beads float, they are cooked but do cooked them a further 2-3mins. Drain and put them in ice water till ready to use.
4. In a skillet, add oil and fry all the accompaniment ingredients all at once. Add seasoning and fry till all are cooked, drain and add the yam beads, mix thoroughly till they are heated thorough.
5. Plate and garnish.
6. Bon appetit!
1. The portion of accompaniment ingredients can be increased to your own liking.
2. For cuttlefish to curl after cooking, julienne it along the same grain of the cuttlefish i.e. lengthwise, cross-section wise will produce straight strips.