Kung Po Open Face Pork Burger 宫保猪肉堡 by Rachel Lee
Too much 好料 and I decided to make it an open face burger 🍔! I made the "with egg" and "without egg" versions. Come with layers of goodness : home made kung po seasoned meat patties, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, cucumber, tomatoes & spinach and of course the mouthwatering Kung Po Sauce from Woh Hup.
Ingredients (enough to make 9 mini burgers) :
250 gm of minced pork
5 butter rolls (slice each butter roll into half; top & bottom)
5 pcs of mushrooms (rinsed, trimmed and thinly sliced)
½ cucumber (deseed, thinly sliced)
15 cherry tomatoes (thinly sliced)
½ onion (sliced)
½ tbsp Woh Hup Kung Po Sauce (to sauté mushrooms)
sunny side up fried eggs (optional)
1 tbsp butter (to pan grill meat patties)
butter spread (for breads)
spinach (for garnishing)
toasted sesame (for garnishing)
Seasonings for meat patties :
2 tbsp Woh Hup Kung Po Sauce
1 full stalk of coriander (finely chopped)
5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
½ large onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 small beaten egg
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp corn starch flour
5 tbsp bread crumbs
3 tbsp Woh Hup Kung Po Sauce
a dash of grounded black pepper
a pinch of salt
3 tbsp water
(tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoon)
1. Fold in minced pork, all seasonings and finely chopped ingredients (i.e. mushrooms, coriander, ginger, garlic, onions) into a large bowl.
2. Mix Ingredients and seasonings well with a pair of chopsticks in one direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) till the meat and ingredients become sticky and gluey.
3. Shape into 9 equal portions of meat patties.
4. Arrange meat patties on tray and chill for at least 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, sauté onion slices and set aside.
6. Sauté mushrooms with 1/2 tbsp Woh Hup Kung Po Sauce. Set aside.
7. Heat butter on grill pan.
8. At medium heat, grill all meat patties till fully cooked. Set aside to rest.
9. Grill or toast all butter rolls slices.
10. Apply butter on top side of bread.
11. Assemble burger layer by layer (i.e. bread, cucumber, meat patties, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, fried egg, tomatoes, spinach etc.) in accordance to your preference.
12. Pierce a bamboo skewer through the layers to firm the structure.
13. To make sauce, add Woh Hup Kung Po Sauce, grounded black pepper and salt into saucepan. Bring to boil.
14. Drizzle burger with Kung Po sauce.
15. Garnish and serve.
16. Serve whilst hot.