1 kg pork belly (2 slabs of abt 8cm wide each)
Chinese Parsley (yan sui)
8-10 cloves garlic, crushed
8-10 cloves shallot, sliced
Kong Bak Pau (can buy from NTUC, Cold Storage ones are too small)
3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
6Tbsp Premium Dark Soya Sauce
1 Tbsp Five Spice Powder
2 Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
4 - 5 Cinnamon Stick
8 - 10 Star Anise
1 litre water (or enough to cover all pork belly in marinade)
1. Blanch pork belly in boiling water for about 5min. Remove and slice into to 1cm thick.
2. Mix all the marinade into a big pot and add all the pork belly. Ensure every piece is immersed in the marinade. Set aside for 1hr.
3. Sauté garlic and shallot till fragrant. Add in the pork belly without the marinade sauce and sauté slightly to caramelise them. Add in the remaining marinade, cover and braise for 1 - 1.5hrs.
4. Cut yam into half length wise and slice each half into 1cm thickness. Set to steam in steamer for about 30min or till soft and just cooked but not over steamed.
5. Place cooked yam into the pot during the last 10min of braising. Coat in marinade.
6. Steam Pau for 5-10min or till soft.
7. Arrange lettuce, kong bak, parsley on the bun.. Drizzle with a little gravy.
8. Enjoy your tasty Kong Bak Pau!