· 3/4 cup butter, softened
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1 package (3 ounces) Jell-O gelatin, flavor of choice (raspberry or strawberry are my favorite)
· 2 large eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
· 2 1/2 cups flour
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· Food coloring (optional)
· Granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar and gelatin until soft and creamy. Add eggs, vanilla or lemon extract and if desired, food coloring, and continue beating until smooth and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder and gradually add to the wet ingredients beating well after each addition. The dough will be very soft but not sticky.
4. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls and then roll in granulated sugar or gelatin. Place balls 2-inches apart on baking sheet and flatten with the bottom of a bowl or cup to about 3/8-inch thickness.
5. Bake for 6-8 minutes making sure not to overcook the cookies.