Here's my mom's humble recipe
(make 70 assorted shape lups of various sizes)
3 kg pork belly
1 kg small mushrooms (soaked)
2.4kg rice (washed)
3.2kg glutinuous rice (washed)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2+2 tbsp salt
4 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp fried garlic (minced)
1 tbsp chicken powder
1. Blanch the pork belly strip then cut it into about thumb size each.
2. Marinate meat for at least 4 hrs.
3. Remove stem and marinate mushroom with soy sauce, set aside.
4. Mix the two type of rice and salt thoroughly, set aside.
5. Fill each lup with a handful of rice through the opening, add a piece of pork belly and mushroom then add another two handful of rice plus another piece of pork belly and mushrooms. Fill with more rice till the lup is 3/4 filled, seal up the lup by weaving the leaf blades.
6. Repeat step 5 till all the lups are done. For smaller lup, just add 1 round of meat and mushroom.
7. Boil the lups in batches in a big pot with 2 tbsp of salt for 45 mins. Ensure the lups are fully submerged and stir twice in between cooking. For subsequent batches, add more water and salt where necessary.
8. Heat up the lups in batches in oven toaster for about 5 mins to dry up the leaves (to prevent it from turning soggy). Repeat till all lups are done.
9. Bon appetit!
1. This is my mom's recipe which she has been doing all her life to suit my late dad's tastebuds.
2. I understood the original lup does not contain meat and mushrooms but later people add in to make it more flavourful.
3. Some even add in onion oil, hae bee and five spice powder (which my mom replaces with chicken powder).
Post link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/475176279218120?view=permalink&id=741468769255535&p=120&refid=18&ref=bookmark¬if_t=group_activity
Video of weaving of rectangular lup: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=982417938440716&set=o.475176279218120&type=2&theater&refid=12&ref=m_notif¬if_t=like
Video of weaving of triangular lup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/singaporehomecooks/permalink/739779016091177/?refid=12&ref=m_notif¬if_t=like
Video of weaving of pillow lup: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=981371148545395