Adapted from NO POKE Roast Pork Belly (Sio Bak) by Emy Lee
Emy's recipe :
Pork belly 850g (cut into more squarish if using philips airfryer to fit in all meat)
-> Pls ask for thin skin + less fats - try to get a pc that is balanced so that it will bake evenly.
-> Ask butcher to help you score the meat - lines about 1" apart; vertically and horizontally across the entire - DO NOT cut through into the fats or the skin!
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
Meat wet marinate:
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1.5 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp hot water to help dissolve the above
1. Wash and dry pork belly.
2. Mix wet marinate in a shallow dish [just enough to put your slab of meat in] and plonk scored meat side face down.
->The wet marinate liquid should come up to about 1 cm deep covering the meat; not touching the skin.
3. Mix the salt/vinegar and rub on pork belly skin.
4. Use hair dryer and warm heat to blow for 3 mins directed only to the skin. (I see the salt crystals forming)
-> it should be relatively dry to touch at this stage.
4. Put in fridge uncovered overnight.
-> I did this the night before.
5. Next day; take slab out of fridge; rub n dab skin.
-> By now, skin should be super dry and some parts may look whitish. Skin should feel stiff. That is normal.
-> if it still looks wet, please use napkin and rub skin to dry.
6. Do a foil prep below the rack to catch all oil drippings in the oven or airfryer.
I did this :
Took out marinated meat from fridge
Preheat 160 degrees for 5mins
Skin side Down this time , AF @ 160 degrees for 25mins
Then flip to skin side up , brush salt n vinegar
Put in fryer and AF @ 180 degrees for 30mins & it's done!
Post link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/475176279218120?view=permalink&id=707729385962807&p=20&refid=18&ref=m_notif¬if_t=group_activity